Our Mission and History
The mission of Loaves and Fishes of Contra Costa is to provide community based food programs and partner services that focus on basic needs. We nourish lives!
Since 1983, Loaves and Fishes has served over 4.5 million meals to many thousands of hungry people throughout Contra Costa County. We have recruited thousands of volunteers and built an organization that has grown to serving over 138,000 meals, and distributing over 252 tons of groceries each fiscal year.
In 2016 we started a culinary training internship program in partnership with the Martinez Unified School District. Students from the Vicente Alternative High School participated in the program for academic credit and earned their safe serve accreditation. The program introduces the students to basic food preparation and cooking techniques, proper and safe operation of a commercial kitchen, food service skills, basic nutrition as well as coaching on interviewing and job retention skills. The program has placed several students in the Diablo Valley Community College Culinary Arts program as well as helped students obtained jobs in the culinary industry. Another way we nourish lives.
We partner with other social service agencies and community based organizations to support those in need. Our partners include Shelter Inc., Trinity Center, Rubicon Programs, The Multi-faith Action Coalition, Opportunity Junction, White Pony Express and the Contra Costa Health Services Department. We also provide cost effective access to our two commercial kitchens to local food entrepreneurs to support their start-up businesses. We nourish lives through a hand up!
We seek financial and volunteer support for Loaves and Fishes from individuals, businesses, service organizations, religious organizations and foundations that recognize the need for feeding the hungry.
- We will serve meals to the hungry of Contra Costa County without regard to race, religion, sex, age, disability, place of residence, or any other qualification.
- We strive to provide a welcoming and positive environment, respectful of the dignity and privacy of all guests, regardless of circumstances or appearance.
- We work at developing a cooperative relationship with other organizations and individuals who share our goal of feeding the hungry.
- We partner with other agencies to provide our clients with additional services and referrals that support our clients quest for self reliance.
- We are a local volunteer organization, staffed by committed individuals who recognize the need to feed the hungry of Contra Costa County.
- We are financially responsible by the utilization of volunteer labor and donated food products.
- We are accountable to our supporters by providing full disclosure of all financial dealings.