Thank you for checking out our job postings. Loaves and Fishes of Contra Costa is a great place to work. The mission of Loaves and Fishes of Contra Costa is to provide community-based food programs and partner services that focus on basic needs. We nourish lives!
Position: Culinary Arts Program Assistant (Seasonal Position)
Reports To: Culinary Arts Program Manager
Job Type: 12 hours/wk
Hourly Rate: $20.00-$23.00 per hour, during a class schedule of 12 hours per week, plus hours outside of class planning and recruiting students for Culinary School.
In partnership with the Culinary Operations Director, the person in this role will support the Program Manager for the Culinary Arts program for Loaves and Fishes of Contra Costa which includes advertising of the program, recruiting students, teaching students and supporting students in finding a job in the culinary industry.
● 2 plus years experience in the culinary field, including catering, restaurant or culinary
● Proven track record and enthusiasm for the culinary industry
● Demonstrated success working in a commercial kitchen, or completing of a culinary program
● After 3 weeks of the hire date, must complete a Food Handler Card
Students are provided with the experience of working in a commercial kitchen. They will learn
the basics in safety and sanitation (each will earn the legally required SafeServ certificate), knife
skills, nutrition, operating commercial kitchen equipment, full meal preparation, meal planning,
buffet and plated service and breakdown regulations. They will also receive job placement
assistance after successful completion of culinary class. We need someone to build, develop,
and help make this program a success. This person must have passion, drive, and motivation
and an outgoing, positive personality and leadership style that can help motivate students to
change their lives through the teachings of a culinary program.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist the Program Manager during the 12-week Culinary Arts Program.
- Ensure the culinary training program created is of high quality and the students are learning to move forward and be successful.
- Plan and lead graduation activities for each class.
- Support Program Manager in ordering all food within budget guidelines and maintain accurate inventories of food on hand.
- Maintain a clean and orderly dining room, kitchen, and classroom.
- Ensure that food storage areas are clean and properly organized/arranged at all times.
- Inspect food storage rooms, utility/janitorial closets, etc., for upkeep and supply control.
- Ensure a sanitary work environment and conform to all local codes and policies regarding proper food storage, handling, and serving.
- Help the Program Manager prepare and maintain an accurate annual budget with the support of the Loaves and Fishes Executive Director.
- Track attendance of students
- Recruit Students for future classes
- Build relationships with local restaurants, and caterers for job placement
- Help students with resume-building and job search skills
- Plan and organize Culinary Graduation for students
- Help students register and complete their Food Handler Certificates
- Outside of class sessions, help the LFCC Executive Director advertise, fundraise, recruit, and interview students for the program.
Qualifications and Skills
Must be at least eighteen (18) years old. Ideally, candidates will have a minimum of 2 years of culinary experience, either in a catering company or restaurant setting. Alternatively, candidates with 2 years or more as a Sous Chef or equivalent in the culinary field are preferred. A high school diploma or equivalent is required, and additional education in food service and/or management is a plus, with completion of culinary school considered a definite advantage. Experience in events and/or catering is also beneficial.
Applicants should possess knowledge and understanding of budgeting, food cost, and inventory management. We are seeking an energetic, flexible, and easy-going individual who can effectively manage diverse personalities. The ability to work collaboratively within a team is crucial, and proficiency in MS Office programs (Word, Excel, etc.) is required.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate adaptability, decisiveness, and effective prioritization of tasks and projects. Strong communication skills in English, both written and verbal, are essential for interacting with individuals at all levels. Motivation and the ability to work independently are key attributes. Additionally, candidates must be capable of obtaining and maintaining a valid ServSafe Manager’s Certificate and able to fulfill the physical requirements of the job. Successful completion of a background check is a prerequisite.
This is a part-time position with an hourly pay rate of $20.00 to $23.00. Please note that this position is variable. The program runs 1-3 times per year, with working hours ranging from 17 to 20 hours per week when the class is in session. During this time, responsibilities include both in-class engagement with students and dedicated efforts outside of class for planning, recruitment, and branding of programs within Contra Costa County