VOLUNTEER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Our volunteers are the heart and soul of Loaves and Fishes. We want everyone’s experience to be positive, fun and rewarding. Below you will find some of our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s):
- Antioch Dining Room: 10:00am – 1:00pm
- Martinez Dining Room: 9:30am – 1:00pm
- Oakley Dining Room: 10:15am – 1:00pm
- Pittsburg Dining Room: 9:30am – 1:00pm
- Walnut Creek Dining Room: 11:00am – 1:30pm
- Central Kitchen: 9:00am – 12:00pm Monday through Friday or 7:30am to 10:30am Saturday and Sunday
Dining Room Volunteers work closely with staff and other volunteers to perform the following:
- Light food preparation: green salad, fruit salad, bread/butter
- Serve meal in to-go containers
- Assist in clean up
- Other duties that may also be assigned include unloading vehicles when donated groceries arrive, rolling silverware, replenishing meals from the kitchen, etc.
The volunteer must be able to stand between 3-4 hours, lift up to 25 pounds.
Our Central Kitchen Volunteers assist our two chefs in preparing approximately 1300 meals that are served each day in our Dining Rooms. The duties include opening cans, chopping fruits, vegetables, and meat. Volunteers will work under the direction of either Chef James or Chef Carissa. Volunteers in the Central Kitchen are required to clean their work area when finished with each task and before the end of their shift.
510 Garcia Avenue, Unit H, Pittsburg
Our Central Kitchen Volunteers assist our chefs in preparing approximately 1500 meals that are served each day in our Dining Rooms. The duties include
- Clean and chop fresh produce
- Prepare raw and cooked meats
- Slice and prepare hot buttered breads
- Assemble green and fruit salads
- Roast vegetables, boil potatoes, make bread crumbs, grate cheese, etc.
- Clean up the work area when finished with each task and before you leave for the day.
Our Cook Assistant duties include:
- Open cans
- Prepare herbs/seasonings
- Cook components of the final entree
To volunteer, please do the following:
- Complete the Volunteer Application
- Submit proof of COVID-19 Vaccination to email@example.com
- Submit the signed VOLUNTEER POLICIES/RELEASE OF LIABLITY WAIVER to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteers are placed in advance based on need in dining rooms, interest, and availability. Shifts are subject to change as needed.
- New Volunteers will be given an orientation upon arrival and will be supervised by the Dining Room Manager or Central Kitchen Chef.
- Please give us 24-hour notice if you can’t make the shift you have been assigned.
Due to the vulnerable population that we serve, we ask volunteers to comply with the following guidelines:
- All volunteers must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to being scheduled.
- Masks may be required for all staff and volunteers depending on community levels of COVID19
- All volunteers and staff must wear a mask when interacting with our clients.
Yes, Volunteers must wear long pants, close-toed shoes, no sleeveless shirts, and their hair pulled back (if appropriate). This requirement is in compliance with the County Health Code, no exceptions.
We suggest that volunteers do not bring purses or other valuables when volunteering as we cannot be responsible for lost items.
Yes. Children under 12 years old are not allowed to volunteer. Any volunteer older than 12 but younger than 18 years old must have a parent or guardian present in order to volunteer.
No, all Volunteers are scheduled in advance.
Yes, Volunteers must be able to stand between 3 – 4 hours, lift as much as 25 pounds, and assist with clean up (all under the direction of the Dining Room Manager).
Here is an opportunity for someone that is available weekday mornings to pick up grocery donations from local grocery stores for Loaves and Fishes of Contra Costa. This opportunity Involves lifting up to 30+ lbs., loading and unloading boxes; must have a valid driver’s license and insurance, a truck, or vehicle that would hold a large load.
Loaves and Fishes of Contra Costa is looking for volunteers to work from home answering our phones. You will log into our phone system remotely and have a script to respond to inquiries.
Shifts 9:00 am to 2:00 pm; Monday thru Friday
At the present time, we are not taking applications for court-ordered Community Service. We will update our website when that does happen.